Sunday, July 24, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

In the past week I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One and Two. Both are good. They’re entertaining and satisfying conclusions to the series. I’ve been a Harry Potter fan for years now, although I was a bit slow to get into them initially.

I remember the first time I ever heard of Harry Potter was when I was in college. I was taking a class on Tolkien (which, unfortunately, I had to drop after the first class because it was an evening class and I was cast in a play that semester so had to attend evening rehearsals). The professor asked if any of us had read the Harry Potter books. There weren’t more than two or three of the books out at that time, and none of the movies had been made yet. I had no idea what Harry Potter even was, and neither did most of the rest of the class. It seems funny to think back on that now since Harry Potter is probably one of the best-known characters in the world.

Within the next couple of years, I heard more about Harry Potter. My father is a pastor, so I heard reference to the controversy within the conservative Christian community about how dangerous it was to allow children to read books about witches. My parents picked up the books to see what the hubbub was about and discovered how enjoyable they were. At some point, when I was on summer vacation maybe, I borrowed the audiobooks from my mom and got caught up in the fun stories (I still think audiobook is the way to experience Harry Potter; Jim Dale is an amazing reader). The first movie came out the Thanksgiving after I finished college, and I was living back at my parents’ house, so we all saw it together (there’s really nothing that makes one recognize his failure to truly enter adulthood like being twenty-two, living with his parents, and going with them to see a children’s movie). That first movie was decent if a bit too long and slow.

The next movie was likewise acceptable, but nothing particularly special. But by the third movie, the series really took off. And the final two really cement the franchise’s place in film history. It’s truly a phenomenal achievement to have made eight consistently high-quality films, especially when the beginning of the series is the weakest point.

I don’t really have too much to say about these final two films. I’m sure anybody reading this either already knows how good these movies are or doesn’t care and isn’t interested in the first place. There seems to be little middle ground with Harry Potter.

The one negative comment I’ll share about Deathly Hallows Part Two is that it has jumped onto the 3D bandwagon, which I feel is a mistake. It’s tough to know whether 3D is really the future of cinema or just a short-term fad. I suspect it’s a fad. I’ve seen a few movies in 3D, but typically I’d just as soon save the extra money and watch it in 2D. I think in the best cases 3D adds little, but in the worst cases it is an annoying distraction. I watched Deathly Hallows in 2D, but there were a few moments in the film where I was distracted by elements that seemed to be deliberately included to take advantage of 3D. There’s a roller coaster-like sequence in the goblin bank that is filmed like it’s supposed to simulate being on a ride at a theme park. Then a dragon lunges straight at the camera. I’m sure it looks cool in 3D, but the problem is that these moments distract from the story. I’d rather have filmmakers simply tell their story without trying to make things cool or to feel the need to use new technology simply because it exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment